Some people may think Iowa is nothing more than cornfields. But as the second largest metro area in the state, Cedar Rapids quickly proves that theory wrong. Cedar Rapids really is the perfect college town.
There are over 100 restaurants in the area ranging from American to Vietnamese fare, 100 night spots that offer anything from listening to the latest hits to country line dancing, a variety of activities for the arts buff as well as the outdoorsy type, and the friendliness of a small community all in one place. Discover Cedar Rapids and enjoy yourself!
Business, Industry and Internships
Cedar Rapids is in the heart of one of the leading manufacturing regions in the U.S. and one of the leading bio-processing and food ingredient centers in North America. It is the largest corn-processing city in the world.
As the home to nearly 300 manufacturing plants and Fortune 500 companies, including Rockwell Collins, General Mills and Quaker Oats, Cedar Rapids provides an abundance of internship opportunities for Coe students.
One of the Nation's Best Communities
With a metropolitan population of more than 267,000 residents, Cedar Rapids consistently ranks as one of the nation's top communities to live, work, play and raise a family. Recent accolades Cedar Rapids and the surrounding communities have earned include being among the best places in America to live, educate children, do business, commute and volunteer.
- Cedar Rapids was ranked 29th in the nation and first of Iowa cities in Livability.com's "Top 100 Best Places to Live" in 2016.
- Cedar Rapids was named as one of the best small college towns in America by Schools.com in 2016.
- Cedar Rapids is one of "America's Best Cities on the Rise", according to Smarter Travel in 2012. The city ranked #10 as an exceptional, up-and-coming destination offering more than meets the eye.
- Cedar Rapids has been called one of the "Best Places for Business and Careers" by Forbes magazine in 2017.
- “Iowa Claims No. 1 Spot on 2018 Best Ranking States” by US News & World Report.
Check out the complete list of recent national rankings and recognition received by Cedar Rapids.
Would you believe a cultural Mecca exists in the middle of cornfields and farms? We can! Enjoy a play, musical or opera performed by fellow Coe students and Cedar Rapidians at Theatre Cedar Rapids, located within walking distance of campus. Catch a Broadway tour or concert at the Alliant Energy PowerHouse or the Paramount Theatre. Check out art by locals or see visiting exhibits at the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art or the Cedar Rapids Area Cultural Alliance.
Cedar Rapids is home to two major hospitals - St. Luke's Hospital is located very conveniently right across the street from Coe, and Mercy Medical Center is a few short blocks from campus.